Monday, February 13, 2023

The circle of life…

 Today marks the day, four years ago, that we lost the Boss, Rolo. He was ‘Them Indoors’ first dog, was the fur that the Juniors grew up with and he had the casting vote as to whether I could come and live with ‘Them Indoors’ so he has a very special place in all our hearts. He was also a rogue, always into mischief, and even though he was a very senior fur when I knew him, there was no doubting who was the boss…and it wasn’t me!

This date is also significant for another reason. It is the date, two years ago, when ‘Her Indoors’ got confirmation from Bear’s breeder, that there was definitely a puppy for us from Willow’s litter. It felt like we had the Boss’s blessing. Now Bear is also a monkey-moo, in fact if anyone wants a hand choosing a naughty puppy, ‘Them Indoors’ are happy to oblige, they have a 100% success rate. Yet she is different to Rolo. He was a free thinker who didn’t worry too much about getting into trouble. Obedience was motivated by the ‘what’s in it for me’ principle and he was a formidable hunter in his day. Bear is also very interested in small furries, although she hasn’t managed to catch anything yet, but her naughtiness is of the theft and chewing variety with a sideline in escapology! There is no malice to her - she is the sweetest natured Border Terrier I have ever met, but, like the Boss, she is highly intelligent and easily bored…. She really doesn’t like being in trouble and gets very upset if ‘Her Indoors’ raises her voice to her. Even though she is a naughty fur, she is so joyful in her misdemeanours that she normally gets away with just a despairing ‘Oh Bear!’. She is actually quite obedient to commands, she just likes to make her own fun…

I feel privileged to have known Rolo, and although Bear can be a bit pesky at times, she absolutely adores me and I a very fond of her, in an over-indulgent Uncle kind of way. When I lived with my previous owner, Sandra, I was an only fur, and it is quite nice to have a companion. Much as I love ‘Them Indoors’ they don’t speak dog, and sometimes it is good to have someone around on the same general wave length. No fur replaces another, but I have a sneaky feeling Rolo would have approved of Bear. I am certainly glad to have had them both in my life.  

                                                    Me and the Boss. What a fur!
                                                            The apprentice, Bear, Dog love her!


No comments:

Post a Comment