Saturday, December 30, 2023

Bear barking!

 It’s taken a lot of bossy barking and tactical tooting, but Uncle Teds has reluctantly shifted over and let me blog a new year message. Now the main thing to avoid in 2024, in my opinion, is being boring snoring! If you see something and you are not sure if it’s edible, eat it anyway. Equally, if you see something and you are not sure if it’s a toy, play with it anyway. If your hupeeps are too busy to play, make your own entertainment. I play ball with myself by dropping it from the top of the stairs, chasing after it, and fetching it back for a repeat. It whiles away an idle moment. I also access the kindling bucket by the fire, choose a piece, and splinter it up on the rug. ‘Her Indoors’ grumbles because she has to vacuum up the bits, but a fur has to entertain herself. 

If they shut you in the kitchen because you are wet and muddy, or because they are going out, you don’t have to stay there, break out! It’s much more fun to have the whole house to explore and, if you can set the alarm system off at the same time, even better. It makes a great noise!

Ensuring life is entertaining is not just for your own benefit, you can spread the joy. When I went to stay with our holiday carers, Shirley had neat little labels in all her flower pots so that she knew which was which. I removed them all, and chewed most of them, so the contents of each pot will now be a nice surprise! No need to thank me, Shirley! Also, if you see toys, belonging to your hupeeps, liberate them, even if you have to jump up high to do it! They will thank you for dispelling the tedium of sitting still on a shelf. And, if your domestic interior design is a bit static, rearrange it. Rugs can be moved, cushions..erm…re-purposed and sofas re-designated as dog beds. Much more interesting!

Some other furs lead boring snoring lives and need to be educated. Uncle Teds is a case in point. He usually does as he is told and tries very hard to understand what ‘Them Indoors’ want so he can bask in the pleasure of being a ‘good boy’. Pfft to that Pals! I try to set a good example but he usually just sits as far away as possible so he won’t accidentally get the blame, looking worried. How dull is that!

There are occasional slight risks with my approach. There is the odd time when an experimental consumption will have adverse effects on my digestion but I have ‘Them Indoors’ to clean up after me. Better out than in is my motto! I also run the risk of ‘Them Indoors’ and, very occasionally, Uncle Teds, getting cross with me. With the value of hindsight, chewing the hand-knitted border terrier cushion that took ‘Her Indoors’ forever to knit, might have been a mistake, and eating the entire cover of ‘Him Indoors’ new book that he hadn’t read was probably a bit ambitious, but how was I to know? They use ‘No, Bear, NOOO!’ so often I am immune to it.

So face the New Year with a sense of adventure, have fun, and live every day to the full. After all, we will only ever get one 2024. I, for one, am going to have a great time!

                                             Perhaps a step too far - who knew?
                                               Just helping with the unwrapping…
                                     Dusting is boring snoring - doing ‘Her Indoors’ a favour!
                                             He needed some new ones anyway!
                                               It’s mine now!
                                            Extra fine kindling!
                                             Interior design the Bear way!

No comments:

Post a Comment